Saturday, February 26, 2022

Day 27: In Your Country



 

What is something you're grateful for in your country?

Again, there's a list that comes to mind:

  1. Like the rest of the world, I'm watching the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and praying for and sympathizing with the Ukranians.  It reminds me, despite the struggles in the United States right now, of how much we have to be grateful for here.  I'm grateful that we are at peace, and not facing any military threat within our borders.  I'm grateful that we have a strong military, and that there are so many willing to serve to protect our country.  
  2. There are people in my life facing difficult and scary medical situations.  This makes me grateful that we have access to excellent doctors, world class hospitals, and the best medicines and treatments available.
  3. Watching the winter Olympics and reading of some of the recommendations to athletes makes me grateful for our freedom of speech. I'm grateful that the government doesn't censor us or throw us in jail for the content of our words.  I'm grateful that this allows for the exploration of ideas, the challenging of bad government policies, and innovation.  It relates closely to other core freedoms - freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press.  I am especially grateful for people who choose to use their speech well.  It feels like there's lots of bad ways speech has been used recently - lies, cruelty, cancelling, ugliness - although I don't know if that's different than it's ever been, maybe it's just easier to see because of all the public platforms.  But regardless, that makes me so grateful for people who use their speech well:  to tell the truth, to be kind, to encourage, to speak something beautiful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment