Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Day 24: About Social Media

What are you grateful for about social media?

I am grateful for my 4q deletion parents Facebook group.  I'm grateful for a way to connect with other parents around the world that would've been impossible even just a decade ago.  (Which probably coincided pretty well with the timing of much greater access to genomic testing  - so a bunch of us started finding out that our kids had a super rare genetic diagnosis around that time, and then we had a social media network where we could connect!)  I'm grateful to be able to give and get medical information, educational and developmental ideas, and emotional support.  I'm grateful to see the pictures of kids who are ahead of us on the journey, or just starting out.  I'm grateful to cheer together for successes, and to pray and struggle together in harder times.  I'm grateful that, while things are currently good and we haven't needed to ask a question to the group for awhile, they are always there when needed.  I'm grateful for the camaraderie I feel with all these people I've never met, but with whom I share this really important thing.  And for all the ways that Facebook is detrimental, I'm thankful that it allows people in all kinds of new and scary medical situations to get this same kind of information and connection..  

1 comment:

  1. Back at you a thousand times. Tom and I are hugely appreciative of all you support. - Liane

    ReplyDelete