Friday, February 11, 2022

Day 12: 3 People I'm grateful for

 



Who are 3 people I'm grateful for?

I'm grateful for the grandmas in my children's life:  Nana Nancy (who is celebrating a birthday today!), Grandma Betty (who celebrates a birthday next week!), and Grandma Mare.  Each of these women are strong, smart, beautiful, and could have a whole post written about what amazing people they are, separate from their identity as a grandparent.  However, today I'm grateful for how much it helps ME and how much it benefits my kids to have three sets of actively involved grandparents.  

Each Grandma is differently situated as far as work and geography, but all of them find ways to maintain regular contact with the kids.  The Reno grandmas frequently babysit for the kids, see them at church, and regularly host family dinners or stop by with treats.  For the Nebraska grandma, our time comes in bursts of a week together every 3-6 months, with phone calls and letters and packages in-between times.  These grandparent times simultaneously give me a break and give the kids an extra set of adults who love them, who can teach them about different things and have different kinds of conversations, who can be different role models for them, who can be praying for them, and who can be a different set of eyes and ears for anything that might be going on with the kids (good or bad).  It expands the community of love and care.  

I'm grateful that each of these three grandmas are so generous with their time, with gifts, with their love, and with sharing their space.  And I'm grateful that each of these three are women who I WANT my kids to learn from, to spend time with, and to become like.  I am so abundantly blessed by each of them.

(The three grandpas are all terrific, too.  They add to this community of love, and bring lots of laughs, playfulness, geological facts, musical knowledge, sports trivia, and many other things.)

1 comment: