Monday, February 14, 2022

Day 15: About Your Body



What is something about your body that you're grateful for?

This is kind of a stretch from this prompt, but it's what I feel like writing about today - I'm grateful for long fingers that allow me to play the piano more easily.  My parents had me take piano lessons for about 7 years during childhood.  I really liked my teacher, but didn't always have the best attitude about the daily practice sessions.  When the lessons were over, I completely stopped playing for the next 25 years, which might lead one to question whether all the time, money, and effort that went into lessons over those years was worth it.  Then the pandemic hit, and a bunch of time that was previously spent running around to activities freed up.  And there was a need for activities to bring cheer.  And we had a keyboard set up, thanks to my father-in-law's generous supplying us with musical instruments of all kinds.  So I started playing piano again, after a decades long break.  

It's fun during Christmas to be able to play all the carols.  It's fun to do duets with Kenny on guitar, and sometimes the kids join in with drums and singing.  It's fun to remember long forgotten songs like "Moon River", or to play classic singalong tunes like "Lean on Me", or any of the Beatles repertoire.  I'm so, so grateful that my parents persisted and gave me this gift of knowing how to read music and play an instrument to a level that I can pick up a songbook decades later and work my way through it.  I'm so grateful for my piano teacher, who provided just the right combination of good humor, musical knowledge, and encouragement.  And I'm grateful for the gift of music to tap into unreached parts of your brain and spirit.

1 comment: