Sunday, February 13, 2022

Day 14: Rejection


What rejection are you grateful for?

This question prompt made me think of the college application process.  First things first, I'm glad those days are behind me!  I remember feeling a lot of pressure about it - not coming from my parents or my school, just internal - and I'm glad to have those days of writing essays and asking for teacher recommendations and waiting for fat or skinny envelopes in the rearview.  I applied to half a dozen schools for both college and law school, and received some rejections in both rounds.  The school I most clearly remember getting rejected from for both undergrad and law school was Cal Berkeley.  I didn't feel grateful on the days when I received the rejections, but I'm really glad that my school journeys went the way they did.  I am so grateful for my friends, experiences, and education from both schools, and for the husband and family that came from my days in law school.  I'm grateful for the chance to have lived on the East Coast for several years and see what the culture and cities are like in there.  I don't know for sure if I would've gone to Berkeley either time - the siren song of the Bay Area / West Coast was strong, so it certainly would've been under heavy consideration - but the point is that I'm grateful my life turned out the way it did, and one thing that helped steer it in that direction was this set of rejections.

No comments:

Post a Comment