Saturday, November 4, 2017

Gratitude Series 2018, Day Four: A Form of Movement





I am so grateful for dance, and specifically for this dance, performed by Robert and Alex on "So You Think You Can Dance" to the song "Fix You" by Coldplay.  The choreographer wrote the piece to tell the story of him helping his mom recover from a surgery, and I think it's beautiful on that level alone - one person helping another through a physical trial.

But I see something else when I watch it, something that I don't think was intended by any of the artists involved, so I hope they will forgive me for putting this spin on it.  This is such a beautiful theological picture.  There's two people limping through a broken world together - and then, in the middle, there's this vision of the way they both want things to be:  bodies strong and whole and functioning perfectly, spirits free and joyful, the two relating to each other with grace and ease and unity - and then it goes back to the two limping along together.  I think the middle part shows the perfect picture of what we all long for, and something like how we will be and how we will relate to each other in the new heavens and the new earth.  And the parts at the beginning and the end show the best ways to be in community now - that even though we're broken and life is hard and it can be an awkward struggle to go through trials together, that there's also great beauty in helping your loved ones through their struggles, and leaning on others as you go through a struggle.  That in fact, this is the most beautiful and meaningful part of this life.

I think this dance is profound and I love it and I'm so grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment