Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Day Fourteen: A Spiritual Practice

I am grateful for the spiritual practice of scripture memory.  This is a hard one, and not one that I've always been consistent at working on, but there's such deep benefit to it.

There are two times in my life where I've memorized longer sections of Scripture.  In high school, I memorized the book of Philippians.  And when Kenny and I were newly married, we memorized the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) together.  Now I'm several years removed from both of those times, and I couldn't even attempt to try to rattle off those chapters.  BUT, i could tell you the major themes of both of those sections of the Bible.  I can tell you phrases that still stick with me, and when I read over any part of those chapters, it's very familiar, like an old friend.  If I'm trying to find a verse on a particular theme, I know what I will find in those two areas and can find things quickly.  I'm grateful that those words were once deeply in my heart and mind, and that the impact can still be felt years later.

Now, in this time of life where I can rarely finish a one sentence thought without interruption, I work on memorizing one verse at a time.  I'm in a group where we memorize a new verse every month, and think about the themes that the verse brings up.  It's encouraging to have those words of life actively going through your head, and even when the month is over and the exact wording slips from your mind, the general idea of it and the most encouraging phrases stick around.  And they return to you when you are most in need of encouragement, or want to encourage a friend, or can't get to sleep at night.  It's a way of filling your mind with helpful thoughts rather than the opposite, and I'm so grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment