Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Day 15: Season

Day 15:  What season are you grateful for?



I am grateful for the Advent season.  I wrote about this more at length a few years ago, and this year it seems relevant in light of current events.  It can be hard to get excited for holly jolly Christmas when it feels like things in the world are particularly crazy - with children's hospitals being bombed in Syria, with U.S. politics in a state of chaos, etc.  Our family has had a good year with the addition of a new baby and relative calm in the other parts of our life, but I know many others have experienced loss, hardship, and difficult transition.  Here is why the hard things make me grateful for Advent (quoted from my old blog, linked above):

 "The good news is:  sad feelings are kind of perfect for Advent.  I think those who are feeling sadness this time of year have a much better vantage point from which to understand and appreciate and deeply long for a hope that comes from outside of this dark and broken world.  As I struggle with some of Joshua's stuff, that is beyond what I can help with and beyond what doctors can fix, I feel the need for something outside of this world to come in and bring healing.  I appreciate the hope that came into the world when Jesus was born, and I understand the urgency of the cry, "Come, Lord Jesus."  When everything is comfortable and good...when you don't feel the sadness in your own life or in the world at large...then it can be harder to remember the great hope we receive at Christmas.  So if you're struggling this month, I hope this is an encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment