Friday, December 19, 2014

An Advent Reflection

I've been thinking a lot about Advent this holiday season, and about how experiencing darkness and suffering best prepares you for the hope of Jesus coming.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the festivity of the holiday season, including the "frivolous" stuff.  I like driving around looking at Christmas lights, I like when the Christmas drinks appear on the Starbucks menu, I like blasting any Christmas song sung by Mariah Carey, I like a good white elephant Christmas exchange, and I like any excuse to eat excessive amounts of spinach artichoke dip.

But I think it's much more natural to feel sadness this time of year, with the days getting colder and darker.  For people who have lost loved ones or who struggle with depression or who have just had a hard year, the holidays can be an especially tough time.  Others are feeling despair because of the violence and injustice they see in the world.  Others feel loneliness as they don't have dozens of parties to attend and presents to buy.  For me, autumn is a reminder of the time of year when Joshua was born, and it often seems to bring new surgeries or worries or diagnoses - so for me personally, it always seems like a hard and sad time of year.  All these parties and holly jolly music and everyone talking about how it's the most wonderful time of the year (and also the busiest!) can feel very far removed from your reality if you are struggling.

The good news is:  sad feelings are kind of perfect for Advent.  I think those who are feeling sadness this time of year have a much better vantage point from which to understand and appreciate and deeply long for a hope that comes from outside of this dark and broken world.  As I struggle with some of Joshua's stuff, that is beyond what I can help with and beyond what doctors can fix, I feel the need for something outside of this world to come in and bring healing.  I appreciate the hope that came into the world when Jesus was born, and I understand the urgency of the cry, "Come, Lord Jesus."

When everything is comfortable and good...when you don't feel the sadness in your own life or in the world at large...then it can be harder to remember the great hope we receive at Christmas.  So if you're struggling this month, I hope this is an encouragement.  One of the greatest Christmas hymns demonstrates the specific hope that comes to those who know their need (here is just one verse, but the whole song is really geared this way):

O Come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice!  Rejoice!  Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

-----------------------------------------------

p.s.  Here are a couple good recent articles on Advent:

No comments:

Post a Comment