Saturday, November 26, 2016

Day 11: Holiday

Day 11:  What holiday are you grateful for?


I am grateful for St. Patrick's Day.  It's funny to choose this one in the middle of the winter holiday season (the Advent season and Christmas are far and away my favorite holiday times), but there's something to be grateful for in many of the holidays, and I take special joy in this more minor holiday.  My dad's mom is 100% Irish, and though I have a blend of other western European ancestry (German, Swedish, English), this is the one piece of my heritage that got heartily celebrated, and it always makes me remember my Grandma Eileen fondly.  Every year growing up, we celebrated by wearing green and eating a meal of corned beef hash, potatoes, and cabbage.  And as I got older, add in a Guinness or two :).  My name, Erin, is also a nod to our Irish heritage.  I'm grateful for this holiday because it's fun and it celebrates my Irish roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment