Monday, November 28, 2016

Day 13: Abilities

Day 13:  What abilities are you grateful for?



I am grateful for the ability to triple jump (which, let's be honest, is probably more of a former ability at this point).  Track and field was my favorite part of high school.  I loved warming up with sprint mechanics, measuring out my mark, putting on spikes, and going for it.  I loved the days where we had brutal sprint workouts or long runs through the rain, and I loved the days before a meet where we got to take it easy and stretch.  I loved the 20 year old school-issued sweatpants.  I loved the different personalities of the coaches.  I loved the thrill of a track meet, particularly the high stakes state track meet.  But most of all, I loved the friendships with my teammates and I am grateful for memories of building sand castles in the sand pit, rolling down big grassy hills, and cheering each other on (there is time to kill between events, and we clearly used it well).  I am grateful that triple jump gave me an extra boost at getting into my dream college, and I am grateful that I got to continue jumping for 4 more years and make some more good friendships and memories.  And I am grateful that my body has not completely given out on me after 8 years of pounding from this unique, absurd, lovely event.

No comments:

Post a Comment