Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 8: Book

Day 8:  What book are you grateful for?



This was a hard one for me because I LOVE books and I am grateful for a lot of them.  I'm grateful for the fiction books that have most entertained and moved me this year (A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood), I'm grateful for books that have challenged the way I view an issue (The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander, Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon), I'm grateful for books that have encouraged me at just the right time (Soul Survivor by Philip Yancey), and I'm grateful for books that are so beautifully written that they should be considered a piece of art (Gilead by Marilynne Robinson).

But the book that I am most grateful for is the Bible.  I know this is a bit of a cliche in Christian circles.  But this is the book that has been my steady companion through the ups and downs of life, and that speaks to you in new ways with every new reading and every stage of life.  The wisdom books help you work through every emotion you will ever feel.  The Gospels and New Testament show the model life of Jesus and give instructions for how we can try to live like this.  The entire book is a beautiful story of redemption and hope.  This is the one book for which I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment