Friday, July 21, 2023

Day 23: Something Nice

 I'm not exactly sure what this prompt is getting at, so I'm going to take it as "something nice that happened today".  It's the dog days of summer in Reno right now - highs are in the hundreds, and it's hard to be outside anytime that's daylight without either some shade or water.  Thankfully, by driving up into the mountains, you can lose at least 10 degrees and then there are these nice cool lakes you can plunge into.  So today, I'm thankful that Donner Lake is only 30 minutes away, and I'm thankful for my time there with my kids.  

Because of the coolness of both the air and the water in the mountains, we often spend most of our time at Donner hanging out on the sand rather than swimming.  But with the very high temps today, all four of us wanted to be actually in the water, swimming and splashing around.  It was so refreshing to actually plunge all the way in, to swim out to the ropes, to practice handstands - all the things you would do in a pool, but don't always do in a frigid, quick hop in and out lake.

I'm grateful for the beautiful views of the mountains all around, and the pine tree smell.  I'm grateful for the clear water where you can see to the bottom.   What a blessing to have this  spectacular place in our region.

I'm grateful for moments when Josh walks over with a question like, "Do you think there's life on other planets?  Did you know that there's proof of it in Nevada because of Area 51?"  I'm grateful for Ivy still wanting to hold hands when we're floating next to each other.  I'm grateful that Zoey is my fellow bookworm during breaks from the water.  What a blessing to have these kids.  




No comments:

Post a Comment