Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Day 3: About my Hometown...



Today's prompt is "about my hometown".  The first question is, what's my hometown?  I was born in Sacramento, spent my first 13 years in Norfolk, Nebraska, attended high school and continue to visit my family every year in Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently live in and plan to raise my family in Reno.  I have lots of love for Lincoln and Reno, but for today's prompt, I'm going to write about my OG hometown:  Norfolk, NE.

Norfolk is a small town of 21,000 people, with no bigger population towns anywhere within 100 miles.  One thing that's fun about small Midwestern towns is that everyone is very loyal to the local sports team.  The varsity football and basketball games are social events for the whole town, and if the team makes it to state playoffs, the fans will caravan en masse to root root root for the home team.  This is a super fun way for the townspeople to have a sense of unity and camaraderie, and I'm grateful I got to be a part of it for many years.  (And even to play on some Norfolk Panthers teams in junior high.) 

I'm especially grateful for 1994, when the Norfolk Panthers beat the Benson Bunnies to win the Class A State Football championship, and in that same season, the Nebraska Cornhuskers won the National Championship.  Sports fandom does not get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment