Friday, June 30, 2023

Day 12: An Ability of Yours


I'm grateful for the newfound ability to be a homeschool teacher.  There were lots of questions at the beginning of last school year, but definitely one of them was, "Can I even do this?"  Homeschooling is a much bigger business than it was when I was growing up, and has especially boomed with the pandemic, so there are a lot of resources and curriculums to help parents, many of them free or very low cost.  No one has to take this on from scratch.  Nevertheless, it's daunting to take on the rule of teacher for your kids.

I do not have the personality to command a room of 30 kids, either by hilarious banter or magnetic presence.  I'm not great at managing difficult behaviors.  I would be a disaster as a classroom teacher.  I was never the kid who lined up my stuffed animals and taught them a lesson, with dreams of someday teaching a classroom full of kids.  I was much more the kid with my nose always in a book.

Fortunately, that personality works great for homeschool!  (And so do many other personality types - "you do you" is never more true than in the world of homeschool.)  The style of homeschool we do for many of our subjects is to read together and then talk about it, or go out and find it (science).  We are all learning together.  I love reading, and talking about reading, and learning new things - so this particular style of teaching is a pleasure and a natural fit.  I'm really grateful that the one little corner of the teaching world that works well for me is precisely the corner where I've landed.

No comments:

Post a Comment