Saturday, June 24, 2023

Day 6: A Smell You Love


I am so grateful for the smells associated with books!  First and foremost, of course, is the smell of a book itself.  Every book lover knows the feeling of burying their nose into a new book and inhaling the aroma, as part of the anticipation and enjoyment of the book reading experience.  Second, I like the musty smell of a used book store, in the kind of store that's built like a maze and has books packed into every nook and cranny, and probably a cat or two wandering around.  I like thinking about the lives the books have lived before they made it to this store, and then thinking about the life the bookstore owner lived that got him or her to this point, and then going home with a stack of amazing books for a bargain price.  Third, I like thinking about other smells that go along with favorite reading times and places - coffee with a morning read, salty ocean air from a beach read, even the gas station snack smell (specifically, my brother eating Funions) as I read in the minivan on family vacations.  Like songs, I'm so grateful how a smell can bring you right back to a time and place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment