Friday, February 21, 2014

Books I read in 2013

I saw another friend with a blog list all the books she read last year with a simple rating system and thought it was a great idea and an easy way to recommend some good books, so I'm going to straight up copy her.  Here is a picture of my book list, thanks to Good Reads (scroll down for my rankings):


The Circle
The Goldfinch
Instant Mom
Nine Inches: Stories
The Arrivals
Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality
Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry
I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman
The Fault in Our Stars
The Silver Star
O Pioneers! (Great Plains Trilogy, #1)
Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit
Gift from the Sea
My Beloved World
The Interestings
The Language of Flowers
Carry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed
Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President
Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
Back to Blood
Telegraph Avenue
Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity
Beautiful Ruins
The Round House
The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home & in the World
Small Things with Great Love: Adventures in Loving Your Neighbor
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Gone Girl
Mom Connection: Creating Vibrant Relationships in the Midst of Motherhood
Dear Life: Stories
This Is How You Lose Her
Surprised by Joy
The Joy Luck Club
Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting From Birth to Six Years
Gold
1Q84 (1Q84, #1-3)
When I Was a Child I Read Books
The Great Gatsby




Here's my guide:  HR = Highly Recommend, R = Recommend, N= Neutral, TD= Thumbs Down, AMB = Ambivalent (this usually means I really liked it overall but it was 
too crass in parts).  Also, some of these books inspired past blog posts, so I linked to those where applicable.  

The Book List:
1.  The Circle  - R
2.  The Goldfinch - HR
3.  Instant Mom - R
4.  Nine Inches  - R
5.  The Arrivals - R
6.  Heads in Beds - R & AMB
7.  Mitten Strings for God - R
8.  I Feel Bad About My Neck - N
9.  The Fault in Our Stars - HR
10.  The Silver Star - R
11.  O Pioneers - R
12.  Spiritual Formation - R
13.  My Beloved World - R
14.  Gift from the Sea - HR
15.  The Interestings - R
16.  The Language of Flowers - HR
17.  Carry on, Warrior - R & AMB
18.  Destiny of the Republic - R
19.  Growing Up Brave - N
20.  Back to Blood - R & AMB
21.  Telegraph Ave - TD
22.  Far From the Tree - HR
23.  Beautiful Ruins - R
24.  The Round House - HR
25.  The Missional Mom - R
26.  Small Things with Great Love - HR
27.  Quiet - R
28.  Gone Girl - R 
29.  Mom Connection - R
30.  Dear Life - R
31.  This is How You Lose Her - R
32.  Surprised by Joy - R
33.  The Joy Luck Club - R
34.  Love and Logic - R & AMB
35.  Gold - R
36.  1Q84 - N
37.  When I Was a Child I Read Books - HR
38.  The Great Gatsby - R


No comments:

Post a Comment