Thursday, May 16, 2013

Put Your Rally Cap On

Yesterday, I went to a Nebraska Medicaid expansion rally.  For more information on what the rally was about, check out this news clip.  Bonus from behind shot of my mom, my sister, my brother, and me around 1:30:  http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Medicaid-Bill-Supporters-Rally-at-State-Capitol-207645271.html#.UZTt6oWXTyt

I was really excited to get to attend this rally because I am a big supporter of affordable and comprehensive health coverage for all, and I think that Medicaid is a huge part of this.  Plus, I think that it's the fiscally smart thing to do.  And I could really go on about how much I love Medicaid all day long, but that's not the point of this post, and it's not even the primary reason I was excited to get to attend the rally.  I was excited because I got to bring my kids along to the rally.  I got to expose them to a group of people who are passionate about a cause and who are taking action to help bring about social change.  Even though my kids are too young to have any idea what the rally was about, they got to be part of the whole atmosphere of people who care about health and who want to see change for the better. 

On the way over to the rally, I was talking to my mom about how some of my favorite memories growing up are doing things like that.  I remember going to political fundraisers.  (Not the fancy $50,000-a-plate event that comes to mind when you hear that phrase...in Madison County, a political fundraiser meant that the person with a fancy barn offered a buffet of pulled pork, corn on the cob, and Budweiser for the adults / lemonade for the kids.  Sometimes, there would be a live country western band performing.  It was awesome.)  I remember going door to door and handing out leaflets for politicians.  I didn't understand all the reasons why we were doing this, but I loved it, and as I got older, it made me want to be involved in the political process in various ways.  I think my parents did me a great service by including me in these events, and I hope to do the same for my kids.  I don't care if my kids' social cause of choice is Medicaid expansion, I will support them whether their leanings are liberal or conservative, and I will fully understand if they want to stay far away from party politics.  But I do hope that they grow up to be thoughtful and compassionate, and I hope they grow up to care passionately about things and that they find ways to take action on behalf of those things. 

2 comments:

  1. I never knew that about your upbringing, Erin. But I can totally see that. I never did anything political until college, but I've often thought that if I had kids I would want to bring them to stuff like this or community service (I don't see much difference between the two). So, bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire and agree with your child-rearing philosophy! I wasn't aware of your blog before this entry! Good!

    ReplyDelete