Saturday, May 11, 2013

In Defense of Christian Education

I've seen a meme floating around Facebook that shows a picture of a 4th grade science quiz.  The questions ask about dinosaurs, the age of the earth, evolution, etc., and give the student an "A" for choosing young earth, anti-evolution answers.  The commentary that goes with the picture basically makes fun of Christian education.  I went to a private Christian school from K-6 and found it to be a valuable experience, so I'm writing this post somewhat in response to the meme, and more broadly, in support of Christian education.  

Here are some of the benefits that I've seen for myself and my classmates that come from our education:

  • Regarding science - I don't remember learning anything one way or the other about evolution and dinosaurs.  It may have been taught, but it certainly wasn't pounded into our brains.  What I DO remember learning about was the vastness of the universe and the complexity of the human body and the wonders of nature - and how all of that pointed to an amazing and beautiful Creator with a grand design.  Our science education was intimately tied to our faith, but not in a way that taught us dismiss science or that set religion against science.   
  • The school had a very tight-knit community.  Thanks to Facebook, I am now reconnected with nearly all of my elementary school classmates and all of my elementary school teachers, and they have been among some of my most exciting finds on Facebook.  Because we had small class sizes and stayed with the same class in each grade, and because we had a belief system that united us, I think we probably grew tighter knit friendships than is typical in elementary school.  
  • The school gave us a good education and encouraged us to value, not distrust, education.  Most of my classmates are college graduates and many pursued advanced degrees.  
  • The vast majority of my classmates and teachers continue to be Christ followers, 25 years after our time at the school.   They are all over the map denominationally and politically, but most all of them continue to profess Christianity.  And some of them are doing really amazing things with their lives:  ministry related things, social justice related things, providing great care for their families, etc.  
Looking at this list, these are *exactly* the things I would want my child to get from a Christian education.  So do I think that every Christian should enroll their child in Christian school?   No - I think the education of your child is a very personal decision, and there are all sorts of good reasons why you might choose public school, secular private school, or home school instead.  I just think that Christian education should not be written off because one outlier school had a quiz about dinosaurs that went viral.  Are there any problems with Christian education, in my particular background or in general?  Of course.  But this post is intended to focus on the benefits, which i believe outweigh problems.  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it and I'm glad you like it! You were, of course, a big part of what made my Christian education experience so special. I miss seeing your posts on Facebook and I hope you're doing well!

      Delete