Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Good Life Highlights

Our time in Lincoln is sadly drawing to a close.  We will head back to Virginia on Friday.  We have some fun events planned this week, but we are in the homestretch of our summer of travel.  I will write a post some time in the future about what it's like to be on the road for three months, but this one will focus on Nebraska highlights, which were:

  • Seeing friends and family old and new, near and far.  
  • Reading Willa Cather's "O Pioneers" while being in Nebraska.  My Grandma Eileen loved Willa Cather, and she once told me that she skipped over the dialogue and just read the descriptions of the prairies.  I was in high school at the time and couldn't think of anything more boring, but now I get how beautiful both Cather's writing and the Nebraska prairies actually are.  
  • Visiting our former church, Grace Chapel.  It's always such a blessing to experience their worship and sermons.  
  • Lots of family togetherness --   
    • All three of my siblings live in Lincoln, so we were able to have gatherings at houses all over town. Mitchell just moved into his first apartment this weekend, so we get to help him housewarm this week. 
    • My sister Michaela is also a stay at home mom with a 2 year old son and a baby daughter, so we have quite a lot in common right now.  We were able to get together and do kid-friendly outings almost every day, which makes the stay at home mom gig so much more fun.  
    • My brother Eric is in his first year practicing law, so it was fun to talk to him about that and reminisce (since I am [not] such a senior to him, with 3.5 years of practice plus 2 years removed).  
    • Watching the toddler cousins play together is fun, and has been good for Joshua's development.  
    • My parents have graciously hosted us for 5 weeks, which has included lots of babysitting, cooked meals, and help on outings.  
  • Kenny was in France for 3 weeks, so it made me appreciate all that he brings to our family.  I understood before that he helps out, but i appreciate much more how much laughter, practical help, emotional support, and joy he brings to our family because i experienced the absence of it for 3 weeks.  
  • Visiting my grandparents
  • We spent lots of time at the pool, so Joshua's and Zoey's water preparedness has majorly increased and my tan has minorly increased.  
  • Lincoln feels like home.  This is the place where, when i run over to the grocery store, I run into random people I know from ten years ago; where I know in great detail what's going on with local politics and development; and where i feel, culturally, that these are the people who are most like me.  
  • And finally, an upcoming highlight:  Zoey has her first birthday on Wednesday!  Pictures forthcoming.  
Goooooo  Biiiiig Reeeed.  (GO! BIG! RED!)

No comments:

Post a Comment