Friday, June 28, 2013

Reno Wrap Up

We are down to our last weekend in Reno.  It's hard to believe how fast this 6 week leg of the journey went by.  Here are some of the highlights:

  • Two trips to Lake Tahoe.  Especially the part where you get over Mt. Rose and see your first glimpse of the big blue lake through the trees.  
  • Lots of family dinners.  Anyone who has dined with the Chings knows that the food at these gatherings is delicious and plentiful.  I should list a menu sometime to show that the word "plentiful" really does not do justice to the spread of food at these gatherings.  
  • In Virginia, we watch TV using Netflix, so we've enjoyed having full cable this month, especially House Hunters, the NBA Playoffs, So You Think You Can Dance, and Bubble Guppies.  They also have Netflix here, so my mother-in-law and I have been watching Season 6 of West Wing.  
  • Attending church while the grandparents babysat our kids.  Normally Kenny and I trade off doing kid duty while the other one attends church, so it was nice to get to go to services together.  
  • Joshua and Zoey really got to know and enjoy their grandparents and their cousin / aunt / uncle.  This was the major goal of the trip and it was a big success.
  • I met up with some of my former co-workers, enjoyed their company, and in talking about cases, remembered that it's really not so bad to get a few years off from being a lawyer.  

Up next, we drive to Nebraska, arriving just in time for the 4th of July.  Kenny will stay for a week and then head to Strasbourg, France, where he will be teaching a summer course in comparative constitutional law for 3 weeks.  The kids and I will be staying with my parents in Lincoln.  Several people have asked me if I'm disappointed that I'm not going with Kenny to France.  The answer is no, I am relieved.  With two very young kids, my day mostly consists of getting them to eat (especially Joshua) and sleep (especially Zoey), and both of these tasks would be more difficult in France.  Hopefully the opportunity will come up again in the future, because it would be an awesome family trip down the road.  Meanwhile, check back in a month - maybe we can get Kenny to do a guest post about his time in France...

For those in Nebraska, I can't wait to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment