Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Resolutions

It's the time of year for New Year's Resolutions!  I'm sharing mine from last year and new ones for this year - I would be interested to hear your resolutions, too.

First, accountability -- how did it go with last year's resolutions?

1) Work on Strength training  - this was a fail.  There were a couple of 4 week stretches where I was diligent with my sit-ups and push-ups and squats, but mostly, this one went out the window.

2) Use the Book of Common Prayer at least 5 times per week - I did complete this one, and here's the blog post about why I chose to do this and why I think it's beneficial.

3) Take a course through Coursera - I completed a course on genetics and blogged my way through it, starting with this post.  I really enjoyed the course and would highly recommend it to anyone whose child has a chromosomal disorder, or who wants to learn more about the field of behavioral genetics (it's changed A LOT since high school biology for those of us in the over 30 crowd).  


The 2016 Resolutions:

I almost punked out on doing resolutions this year because it's been a tiring couple of weeks and I just could not summon the energy and enthusiasm to set big goals in health / fitness, learning, and spirituality (the 3 categories i usually try to fit my resolutions in).  But there's a different area that I would like to improve in, and it lends itself to very low-key goals:  become more self-sufficient.  Here are the 3 ways i would like to become more self sufficient in 2016, and honestly i'm embarrased to admit that I need to learn the first two, but you've got to start somewhere:

1)  Learn to fill the car tires with air.  If that goes well, maybe learn some other basic car stuff (checking oil, changing washer fluid, that kind of thing).

2)  Learn to hang a picture.  I know the steps to doing this one, but you can't even believe how clumsy I am with my hands.  But I want some family pictures on the wall, so I'm going to teach these hands some coordination and git r dun.

3)  Grow at least one outdoor plant that survives the season.  I love the idea of having a thriving vegetable garden and a beautiful flower garden, but for starters, I just want to keep a few easy things alive.  Do any of you have recommendation for a plant that is super easy to grow?

3 comments: