Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Is American Parenting Killing the American Marriage?

I've seen this article -- How American Parenting is Killing the American Marriage -- shared many times on my Facebook feed, and it seemed to resonate with many of my friends (and many of their friends).  I think it's a great discussion piece with some valid points but also some ideas I really disagree with:

Valid points (directly quoted from the article):  

  • "Children who are raised to believe that they are the center of the universe have a tough time when their special status erodes as they approach adulthood." 
  • "Couples who live entirely child-centric lives can lose touch with one another to the point where they have nothing left to say to one another when the kids leave home."


Important qualifiers that the article does not address:

  • You might be totally on board with the idea that family life shouldn't be child-centric, but I don't know how you practically make that work when the kids are young and/or special needs.  They need help with their basic needs all day long, and unless you have the money to hire lots of help, your life is going to revolve around the kids for the first few years.  The author claims that this is not the case in every time and culture, but I would like to see how that works.  
  • "Children raised to believe they are the center of the universe" is not so much about how much time and attention you give to a kid, but about the philosophy with which you raise them and how effective you are at teaching them to be mindful and respectful of others.  (This is HARD and I am still figuring this one out.)
  • Things that appear to be child-centric might be done just as much for the adults.  For example, I try to avoid making plans during my children's nap time, which appears to be a child-centric practice, but it also makes them less crabby for the rest of the day and helps them fall asleep more easily at night -- which makes my life easier and allows me to spend some time with my husband after the kids have gone to bed.  

Thing on which I think she's flat out wrong:

  • That it should be publicly acceptable for you to say that you dislike your kid.  I don't mean that you should see your kid through rose colored glasses and not try to help them work on weak spots, or make excuses for bad behavior rather than correcting, particularly when it's destructive to others - but I mean that everyone else in the whole rest of the world will, at times, give them reasons to hate themselves, and parents should be the two people who offer a safe haven of acceptance and love to their kids.  


On American marriage:


  • I think the thing that's killing the American marriage is the idea that the goal of marriage is romantic-comedy-style individual happiness and fulfillment, as opposed to for better or for worse (which is sometimes about each partner's individual happiness, but also about sacrificing, learning to grow together, supporting each other through hard times, and staying loyal during mundane times). Even if the author is right that parenting has turned into a religion and this is hard on marriage, it wouldn't be such a lethal blow if people didn't also have faulty assumptions about what a good marriage should be like.
  • I think there are many ways in which American parenting strengthens the American marriage. Kenny and I consider raising our kids to be one of the most important projects of our life.  We've got spiritual goals that are more important (and many overlap with raising our kids); we've got career and life goals that are less important but still big; but raising our kids as well as we can is a major one.  Consequently, when I see Kenny spending time with the kids or doing any of the many other things that make him a good dad, it strengthens my love for him.  

What do you think?  As I said at the beginning, the original article seemed to resonate with many, so I'd be interested to hear any feedback.  



No comments:

Post a Comment