Saturday, September 21, 2013

Political Rant on why we shouldn't put type-of-food limits on Food Stamps

posted on Facebook about how the House just passed a bill making drastic cuts to the SNAP (food stamp) program, and got some interesting responses from people.  A common theme was the desire to see limits to the type of food people can purchase with their Food Stamps.  I like the idea of offering classes on making and preparing healthy foods, and I would also be on board with financially incentivizing the healthiest foods.  But I think it's ultimately best to let people make their own food choices for the following reasons:

1)  Where do you draw the line on what and how much to limit?  Are we more concerned about price or health?  Why is it okay to put paternalistic limits on this distribution of government money but not others?

Let's assume we're concerned about health -- If we make people buy fresh produce, will it have to be organic?  Locally grown?  Are we going to set up cameras in the kitchen to make sure that people bake rather than fry, use olive oil rather than vegetable oil, finish up the last veggies on their plate before they start in on dessert (which they got from the local Rescue Mission because we won't allow them to actually purchase a fresh dessert of their choice from the grocery store)?  I would go nuts if I couldn't get my weekly sugar fix from the grocery store.

Let's assume we're concerned about price -- can people buy any meat at all, or should all protein come from beans?  Can they get canned beans, or only dry?  Why don't we just give people some seeds and require them to grow and harvest their own food, because this would be a lot more economical.  Or we could just recognize that people on Food Stamps have a very limited budget (around $1 per meal) and so if they are choosing to splurge on one thing, then they are choosing to scrimp and save on other things.

I am not on Food stamps, but I do receive a chunk of money from the government each year in the form of the Home Mortgage Interest Deduction.  I would be super annoyed if the government told me that I could only spend that money in ways that were healthy and/or financially prudent.  For the most part, I do try to make healthy and financially prudent decisions, but I want the freedom to decide
how to do that and when to make exceptions. For example, I bought a pumpkin spice latte today.  I could've made myself a cup of Folger's coffee at home for 1/100th of the price (and probably also 1/100th of the calories), but I decided that this was a good way to spend my money today.  If the latte would've been paid for by the tax deduction, does it seem reasonable for the government to step in and say:  "This Pumpkin Spice Latte is a bad choice, health wise and financially, so we aren't going to allow you to buy this".  And if that doesn't seem reasonable, then why is it different with Food Stamps?

2)  We don't know people's situations and we can't necessarily assume that we would make better choices for their family than they do.  

I spent the year after college living on a very limited budget, so I understand and agree with those of you who suggested that it's possible to eat reasonably healthy on a Food Stamps sized budget.  But I was able to eat healthily for a lot of reasons - I had a steady home situation that included a place for me to store and refrigerate food, cooking implements and appliances that allowed me to prepare it, and roommates who encouraged and helped train me in homemade food preparation.  This is not necessarily true if you are  living with different friends every week, living in a weekly motel, or living out of your car.  You may not have grown up in a home where food was freshly prepared and you might not have a clue how to do it.  You may have family members who, because of allergies or medical conditions, have a diet that is severely restricted in surprising and expensive ways.  You may decide to blow a week's worth of Food Stamps on a fancy birthday cake for your child because you know how much the birthday means to the child and you know that you can access a week's worth of food at the soup kitchen - and this decision might be the absolutely best decision for your family.

I seem to be in the minority in opposing food choice limits on Food Stamps.  Is there anyone who agrees with me?  Help a sister out and add your reasons in the comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment