Monday, November 6, 2017

Gratitude Series 2018, Day Six: A Friend

Oh you fancy, huh?
I'm grateful for my friend Katie.  She was willing to befriend me at age 13, when I had just moved from a small town to the capital city and was a gangly, awkward, Pebbles-hair wearing newbie. We originally bonded as teammates on the volleyball team and track team.

But, by our junior and senior years of high school, we (and two other friends) were inseperable.  We spent countless weekend nights cruising around town in my Geo Metro, renting DVDs from Blockbuster, sipping coffee at the Mill, getting into (fairly harmless) shenanigans, and building an impressive repertoire of private jokes.

We went to college in different states, but maintained a friendship through daily e-mails (on any given day, she could tell you what my college cafeteria was serving), visits to each other's campuses, and an annual summer road trip to different Midwestern cities.

As we've transitioned into adulthood, and still never living in the same place, we've been by each other's sides for weddings, had more adventures as we meet up in Lincoln, and remained close through all the big changes of life - job transitions, moves around the country, and becoming parents. 
I'm so very grateful for Katie.  I love our shared adventures, our long history, all the laughs, and her faithfulness as a good friend.  Looking forward to many more decades of friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment