Thursday, November 15, 2018

Day 22: A Book or Movie...

I am grateful for the book "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel.  Usually when I write about a book, I think about non-fiction books that have taught me something about Christianity or social justice.  But the bulk of books I read are fiction - some are literary, some are page-turners, some expand your imagination, some teach you about a perspective different than your own, and some keep you guessing about plot until the end.  This one does a little bit of all of that.  It was such a pleasure to read, and so unlike anything I've read before.  It's a hopeful dystopia, a defense of the arts, a gripping tale of disease taking down the world, and a story about how people rebuild and find connection and create beauty out of unprecedented disaster.  I am so grateful for the creative mind that came up with this idea, the writing skill she employed in putting it to paper, and the reminder of why fiction is so great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment