Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thankfulness Post Year 3: On the Lighter Side

This is my third year doing a thankfulness-themed post.  The last two years, I tried to make my posts more "serious" (Gratitude Year 1Gratitude Year 2) -I wrote in part about how thankfulness doesn't just need to be about the things that make us happy.  But sometimes, thankfulness is exactly about the things that make us happy!  So this year, I'm thankful for those people, places, and things that bring entertainment, happiness, and beauty into our lives by their existence.  And it's done in list and countdown form, because I am thankful for those blog formats :).  Please add your favorites in any of these categories (or make up your own) in the comments!  I am thankful for:

6: Excellent workplace-themed TV shows available on streaming:
  • West Wing - on Netflix, about the White House
  • House - on Netflix, about doctors
  • Mad Men - on Netflix, about advertisers
  • Breaking Bad - on Netflix, about drug dealers (this counts as a workplace theme, right?)
  • The Good Wife - on Amazon, about lawyers and politicians
  • Newsroom - on Amazon, about journalists

5:  Songs that are easy like Sunday morning:


Mad Hatter desserts
4: Great coffeeshops:

  • Brewed Awakenings - This was my go-to coffeeshop during college in Providence, RI.  My roommate Judy and I spent countless hours in this place.  Drink recommendation:  Cookie Monster.
  • The Mill - This coffeeshop in Lincoln, NE has been my hometown coffee destination through so many stages -- in high school I went here when I wanted to feel grown up; now I go here when I want to feel young.
  • Milagros - I spent a year living in Alamosa, CO (near the Great Sand Dunes) and this lovely coffeeshop was my home away from home.   They frequently hosts community events and their proceeds benefit the local homeless shelter.
  • Mad Hatter - This is one of many great coffeeshops in Durham, NC that I frequented during law school.  Mad Hatter gets the shout out because I have some nice memories of meeting Kenny there, and also because look at those cakes!


3:  Favorite sporting events:
Olympic triple jump

  • March Madness - because in any given NCAA tournament game in which Duke plays, there is a 75% chance that Duke will win
  • College football - So much emotion is packed into this sport at this level of play.  The 2015 Nebraska Huskers have dramatically illustrated the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  
  • Summer Olympics - One of the few opportunities to see triple jump on broadcast television.  (Or whatever your unusual warm weather sport of choice is.)  


2:  Christian woman Facebook personalities / bloggers who are funny and nice -

  • Jamie the Very Worst Missionary - one of my favorite blogs by her is #blessed
  • Jen Hatmaker - one of my favorite blogs by her is yeses and nos


1:  Lake Tahoe.  (Does this need an explanation?  No.  It does not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment